Styling: Alex Walls, Photography: Sophie Bayly
For me, Christmas is going to be a bit different this year. The family home I grew up in was recently sold and the annual family dinner, held there every year, is now up for a re-think. It’s sad to see this tradition come to an end, with all the amazing memories made in the home we shared together, but on the bright side, it means as a family we now have an opportunity to start fresh and create a new way of doing Christmas.
I can’t say I’m too sad to say goodbye to mum’s favourite purple decorations (sorry, Mum!), instead welcoming a lighter and brighter palette of glowing golds, yellows and fresh green for the dining table. I’m also forgoing the old tradition of the huge Christmas tree, and instead bringing in some festive wall hangings, like this lovely wall arrangement of gold paper wreath and olive branch.
We’re not eschewing tradition altogether, with a plan to still serve up all the must-have Christmas dishes in some beautiful handmade ceramics by our friend Yon from Claybird Ceramics – this year, we’ve also collaborated with Yon on our own ceramic tree ornament designs, adding a beautiful handmade touch to our festive decoration.
Finally, as a nice personal touch, on each setting sits a beautifully wrapped gift of chocolates. Who said present time can’t last for the whole day?
Wall and floor colour: DULUX WAIAU BAY
- Gold Paper Wreaths, $49.99
- Faux Olive Stem, $9.99
- Mini Christmas Tree, $49.99
- Claybird Ceramic Serveware starting from $24.99
- Large Serving Bowl, $79.99
- Brass Salad Servers, $49.99
- Stainless Steel Cutlery, $389.99
- Vaasa Oak Dining Table, from $1,699.99
- Vaasa Oak Bench Seat, from $659.99
- Kris Kross Leather Dining Chair, $499.99
- Outdoor Rug, $699.99
- A&C Linen Tablecloth 2.5m, $89.99
- Cedar Garland, $159.99
- Elm Board Platters, $74.99
- Red Wine Glasses, $34.99
- A&C x Claybird Ceramic Christmas Ornaments, $12.99 each
- Terracotta Pot, $19.99
- Pillar Candle Set (battery-run), $59.99